BOCC Proclaims the 60th Anniversary of the College of Central Florida
The Board of County Commissioners is pictured with representatives from the College of Central Florida
The Citrus County Board of County Commissioners presented a Proclamation at their regular meeting on May 23, 2017 proclaiming the 60th year anniversary of the College of Central Florida.
The College of Central Florida was founded as Central Florida Junior College in 1957 to serve the educational needs of Marion, Citrus and Levy counties. Hampton Junior College was founded in 1958 as one of the first black colleges in Florida and merged with CFJC in 1966 to become Central Florida Community College. The college partnered with the Citrus County School Board to establish an educational complex in Lecanto in 1984.
A free-standing campus was opened in Lecanto in 1996 and the college will make history with the opening of the first permanent higher education facility in Levy County when the Jack Wilkinson Levy Campus opens in August of 2017. The college began offering baccalaureate degrees in 2010 and changed its name to College of Central Florida.
The Board of County Commissioners recognizes and honors the 60th anniversary of the College of Central Florida and calls the observance to the attention of all citizens.