3600 W. Sovereign Path
Lecanto, Fl. 34461
Office: (352) 527-7669
Fax: (352) 527-5429
Lawn Watering Days and Times
Irrigation System Testing
- Year-Round Conservation Measures effective October, 1, 2017, limit lawn water to twice per week, as follows:
· EVEN addresses may irrigate on Thursday and/or Sunday before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
· ODD addresses may irrigate on Wednesday and/or Saturday before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m.
- Landscape Watering
- Hand watering and micro-irrigation of flower beds, shrubs and other plants (other than lawns) can be done on any day at any time, if needed.
- Water Utilities and Other Local Enforcement Agencies
- Enforce restrictions.
- Use automatic meter reading or weekly night patrols to monitor compliance with restrictions.
- Issue citations without needing to have first issued a warning.
New Lawns & Plants
Proper irrigation system maintenance conserves water by minimizing waste. This is why the District prohibits the operation of a broken sprinkler head or other malfunctioning component after the responsible party has been notified about the problem by the District, water utility or local government (reference: Chapter 40D-22.201(2)(e), Florida Administrative Code).
Maintenance is not limited to fixing broken, missing or misaligned irrigation system components. It should also include proactively testing a system to identify problems, verify proper operation of a rain or moisture sensor, and make seasonal adjustments to the irrigation schedule.
There are important water use allowances for testing and maintenance:
Irrigation Systems may be operated during otherwise restricted days or times (in other words, and day and any time) for testing and repair purposes.
Routine, proactive testing may be done up to once a week.
The run-time for any one test in any one irrigation zone may not exceed 10 minutes.
An attendant must be on-site when the testing is taking place. This generally means that the attendant is visible from the nearest road or other public property. If the attendant is not clearly visible, an irrigation professional's commercial vehicle or other means (such as temporary marker "flags") should be used to alert passers-by of the ongoing activity.
- New Plant Material may qualify for additional watering allowances, if it consists of at least 50 percent of an irrigated zone. ONLY zones that have more than fifty percent new plant material are allowed additional watering via an irrigation system. Citrus County suggests that you Call Before You Install new plant material. Citrus County Water Resources will conduct a site visit and explain your options. To learn if your new plantings qualify for additional watering, please call (352) 527-7669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Qualifying New Plant Material Watering Allowance:
- New lawns and plants have a 30-30 establishment period, which allows any day watering during the first 30 days, before 8:00 AM or after 6:00 PM.
- During the second 30 days, watering is allowed three days per week
- Even addresses may water on Tuesday, Thursday and/or Sunday, if needed
- Odd addresses may water Monday, Wednesday and/or Saturday, if needed
- Over seeding an existing lawn to improve its appearance, DOES NOT QUALIFY for the additional watering allowance. Spreading rye seed is an example of over seeding that does not qualify.
- Reclaimed water remains subject to voluntary watering hours, unless restricted by the local government or utility.